Vickie Howell is back again with an gorgeous and fun to make bag using CoBaSi plus; a wool-free, durable yarn, and fabric made with cork! Not only is cork a renewable resource, it’s also water and stain-resistant, making it an ideal base for this carry-all-tote! Gather your materials by visiting our online shop and make one or two of your very own!
by Vickie Howell for Makers’ Mercantile
- 1 Hank Cobasi Plus by HiKoo (55% Cotton/16% Bamboo/8% Silk/21% Elastic Nylon; 177 yds), in color: 008.
- Fat Quarter Cork Fabric by Jelinek
- Size US H/5.5 mm Addi Crochet Hook
- Large-eyed Sharp Tapestry Needle
- Sewing Machine and Thread
- 4 – large O-Rings or Square-Rings
- Measuring Tape
FINISHED SIZE | 12”/33 cm Wide x 11 ½”/29 cm Tall — excluding handles
ch = chain
dc = double crochet
hdc = half-double crochet
rnd(s) = round(s)
RS = right side(s)
sl st = slip stitch
st = stitch
WS = wrong side(s)
Cork Bag Bottom:
- Cut 13” x 14”/35.5 cm x 35.5 cm piece of cork fabric.
- Fold piece in half with WS together with longer side of fabric at top, machine sew side seams using a 1/2”/1.25 cm seam allowance.
- Create the “box” bottom, by centering side seams with the bottom center fold. Pinch it together and lay it on your work surface. Use a ruler and measure up 2”/5 cm from the point of the fabric and draw a line. Machine sew along line. Repeat for opposite side. Turn bag bottom RS out.
Crochet Bag Top:
- Using measuring tape and pen, mark dots every 1/4”/.5 cm down from top edge, and 1/4”/.5 cm around perimeter.
- Using sharp tapestry needle, yarn, and using dots as a guide, create a Blanket Stitch (see video) border around top edge.
- Crochet bag top as follows:
Join yarn at a loop at side edge created by Blanket stitch.
Rnd 1: Ch 2, hdc in next Blanket Stitch and every st around; join rnd with a sl st at the top of beginning ch. Turn.
Rnd 2: Ch 3, dc in next st and every st around; join rnd with a sl st at the top of beginning ch. Turn.
Rnd 3: Ch 2, hdc in next st and every st around; join rnd with a sl st at the top of beginning ch. Turn.
Repeat Rnds 2-3 until piece measures 6”/15 cm from cork fabric edge.
Repeat Rnd 3, once more.
Make Strap Tabs:
Measure 2 1/2”/6.5 cm in from side edge, join yarn.
Rnds 1-3: Ch 2, 4 hdc. Turn.
Fasten off, leaving long tail for seaming.
Repeat process on opposite end of same side, then twice on opposite side of bag. (Four total tabs.)
Straps (Make 2):
- Cut 4, 1 1/4”/3 cm x 27”/68.5 cm pieces of cork fabric.
- With WS together, top stitch two pieces of cork together. Repeat with remaining 2 pieces.
- Using yarn tail and needle, fold Strap Tab over O-ring and seam down.
- Fold one end of one strap around O-ring, machine sew in place.
- Repeat last two steps for remaining 3 Strap Tabs.
Weave in ends.